Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hymn #30

To be a Latter-day Saint is to love the hymn "Come, Come Ye Saints." Oh my, the singing of this song is a powerful communal experience, whether at a Pioneer Day celebration or an ordinary Sabbath service: "All is well, all is well." For as much as we sing it, however, there isn't much variety in the arrangement. It probably feels just right the way it is, and yet ...

Clayton Pixton's arrangement, sung by his sister, is stellar. The driving piano combined with her clear vocals pleases me very much. His entire album Hymns Anew was a gift to me from Heather, and one I deeply appreciate! His collection is filled with beautiful hymn arrangements and sibling singing. For example, after I inserted the new CD Heather sent me into my mini-van CD player and listened to the selections, I fell madly in love with the hymn "Adam-ondi-Ahman." It hadn't been a favorite, but now it is! Pixton's arrangement is plumb gorgeous and spiritually uplifting. This CD is our Sunday, go to meetings music, as I've mentioned before. It has enough musical momentum to rev me up, and enough spiritual messages to focus our minds/hearts.

So, here are the steps:
1) go to http://claytonpixton.com/music.html
2) click on the listening samples on the right side of the page
3) download - for free - "Come, Come Ye Saints"
4) listen to the "Adam-ondi-Ahman" sample (not the full tune, but a full verse)
5) consider purchasing the CD. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment