Monday, February 1, 2010

Geaux Saints

They probably won't be using this as their triumphal entry music at the 2010 Super Bowl, but Alec Ounsworth, the lead singer of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, entitled this solo effort "Holy, Holy, Holy Moses (Song for New Orleans)," so there is a connection. (His band efforts are totally worth checking out too. I get the feeling at least one of the guys is playing a tin can, and I love it!)

I think that I once described Ounsworth's voice (on this song and ... elsewhere) as sounding like Bob Dylan's younger stepbrother performing the Broadway musical version of "The Grapes of Wrath." Also, he sounds really nasal.  But once you get past the dust bowl era patina, you might find something compelling in his phrasing. I did. I've been liking Clap Your Hands Say Yeah since Allen Renfroe recommended them to me (summer '09, was it?), and then I heard this song on our local community radio station, and it grabbed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment