Saturday, May 15, 2010

from Icky Thump

I'm new to The White Stripes. New, but enthusiastic. I've been listening to them on a mix CD and on Pandora, the terrific aural buffet.

Don't you love that album name, Icky Thump?

Admission: I used to think I *knew* that Meg White was a poor drummer, and somehow, my arrogant dismissal of her kept me from the band. What a loser. Me, not her. Her, I like.  Even Mr. Britt Daniel changed his mind. In "Small Stakes", the amazing single off of Kill the Moonlight, he dismissed the band in favor of Har Mar Superstar (talk about an, ahem, unusual look), but later confessed in more than one interview that he actually really likes the White Stripes and their aesthetic. Good thing, since both Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga have the red/white/black look going on too.

Coming to this band kinda reminds of me when I started reading the Harry Potter series right after Goblet of Fire was published. Lucky me, I had three books ahead of me when I finished the first one. Didn't have to wait for years ... at least not then. I certainly put in my time waiting for The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows though.

With the White Stripes, there are lots of albums to learn and love. Lots of red, black and white pictures to enjoy. Goodness gracious, Mr. White has already moved on to two other bands - the Raconteurs and Dead Weather. Both Mr. White and Ms. White have married other people. Mr. White's new wife has released an album with Ms. White's husband as the drummer. Anyone up for a game of Clue?

Coming to this band also kinda reminds me of the Blinn College motto, sometimes mocked by my students: Proven.

The White Stripes are proven. So it's a good time to dig in.

This particular song is so clever, so satisfying, so yes yes yes.
We can all relate, I think, whether in romantic relationships or friendships or whatever ... I borrow expressions, gestures, vocal tics, ideas and much more from the people into my life. I get this.

Lyrics? Most certainly! Verse 2 is brilliant!


I'm slowly turning into you
But you don't know this
Tell the truth
You say I'm lying and I never really tell you the truth
But your face is getting older
So put your head on my shoulder
Yeah, put your head on my shoulder

Yesterday it hit me that I do all the little things
That you do
Except the same little things that you do are annoying
They're annoying as hell in fact
It kinda struck a little bell in fact
I like to keep my little shell intact

And I'm slowly turning into you (2x)

Then something else came to mind
That was the mirror
It made everything clearer
That you're more beautiful compelling and stronger
It didn't take much longer

Just for me to realize I love all the little things
And the beauty that they're gonna bring
I dig your little laugh and I'm lovin' your quick wit
I even love it when you're faking it
And it might sound a little strange for me to say to you
But I'm proud to be you

And I'm slowly turning into you (4x)

No comments:

Post a Comment