Sunday, January 31, 2010

The most beautiful song on my playlist? "Death and all his Friends"

The thing I love about Coldplay's Viva La Vida is that it's a genuine album. The songs work together thematically and musically. For example, the first tune is "Life in Technicolor", and then the last tune is this one ... from life to death in 10 tracks. This song - "Death and all his Friends" - employs one of the musical motifs of "Life in Technicolor" too, so the record really pulls off a full circle feeling. Coldplay receives plenty of hating from hipsters, but they have nothing to be embarrassed of. In addition to writing super swell catchy pop songs that everyone and their uncles can enjoy, they also aimed high with this record and created something amazing. It's a cohesive piece of brilliance (the producer gets high marks!), and I spent the summer of 2008 listening to the record from start to finish.

Oh how I love this part of the song, my Choice #3:
I don't want to battle from beginning to end
I don't want to cycle, recycle revenge
I don't want to follow death and all of his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment